January 20, 2009

"With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now." Emerson

I had the opportunity the other day to read a little of the new book Power of Less. The main messages from the book are around learning to set clear limitations; choosing the essential to maximize time and energy. Personally, I really liked the simple concepts as I can immediately look to apply them in my own life.

Therein I noted several pragmatic, applicable to-dos that are worth sharing:
- Set aside time just for batch tasks (ideally later in the day) -- batch tasks are phone calls, email maintenance, in-box processing, visiting websites, etc. Think of batch tasks being anything life "maintenance" related
- First thing in the morning, write down your three Most Important Tasks (MITs)
- Focus solely on those tasks; do not multi-task those items
- At your designated batch time, process your in-box to empty; do not use your in-box as a to-do list
- Only check your email 2-3 times a day; once in the morning, during lunch and then in the afternoon; turn off any desktop email notifications
- Stick to 3-7 sentence emails max
- Learn to say "no"
- Create a "To be Filed Folder" within your in-box
- When going through your email, process quickly, and either delete, file away, or respond

Do you have any general or otherwise productivity tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment